Tuesday, May 11, 2010


Figuring out how to get back to a studio practice with a newborn takes, well, practice. I am glad to say I managed to complete the final paintings in a long-term body of work during my pregnancy, so I had a sense of closure and accomplishment going into the delivery room. That put me in a position to start something completely new upon my return-- both liberating and terrifying. I need something that I can pick up and put down easily, e.g. not oil paint. So, I am currently trying to discover the painterly language of magic markers.

Today I made a list of subjects that most concern/excite/occupy me these days. The list includes
-laundry
-what to make for dinner
-cleanliness of the apartment
-sandwiches
-Oona's sleep
-Oona's poops
-my body/fitness
-groceries inventory & budget
-wine
-watching tv on dvd/the web
-health insurance
-bills & how to pay them
-vacation/visit to see my family next month

I then realized I don't know how or necessarily want to make art about any of those things, so I'm scaling back to just making shapes/patterns/colors on paper with my new (hopefully) magical markers. Perhaps if I can get funky with the formal, my brain will eventually wake up and join the party.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home